Saturday, September 24, 2011

Autumn Equinox


The silver rain, the shinning sun,
The fields where scarlet poppies run,
And all the ripples of the wheat,
Are in the bread that I do eat.
Alice C Henderson

To-day is the first day of Autumn so we decided to celebrate it!
Back when I was in school we used to have a Harvest Festival where all the children were asked to bring in some kind of food and a local baker would bake a huge loaf in the shape of a peice of wheat.  Here is where my memory fails me slightly as I remember that the food was piled up and displayed on the school stage before being distriputed to...? I think it might have been to old people living  near to the school but I'm not sure, I don't ever remember there being homeless shelters or soup kitchens mentioned.
So we baked a 'smallish' wheat loaf and made a risotto with as many vegetable as we could find in the garden, and a few i'm sad to admit, that we had to buy. 



while Rémi made a decorative necklace Tino did a colour sorting activity

Normally we have a bountyful crop of courgettte and pumpkin but this year the courgettes are stuck at 'small hard pear shaped' stage and refusing to go any bigger!  as for the pumpkins, they haven't turned up at all! 


2010 pumpkin
Never the less we still have 'tonnes' of beetroot left (the boys won't eat this despite me telling them they'll get pink pee!), swiss chard, carrots and cabbage (we never actuall eat much of the cabbage as the deer seem to always beat us to it) and the cellar if full of potaotes.  I'm going to have a manic parsley chopping session tomorrow then freeze it all in ice-cube containers to use this winter.



Not forgeting the birds we also made a few seed muffins



The start of our Autumn nature display



No comments:

Post a Comment