Sunday, May 17, 2015

The birds and the bees


We have a new chicken lady, to replace the one that disappeared into thin air this winter - literally disappeared into thin air - there were no feathers or signs of a struggle as with a dog or fox attack so I'm assuming that she was taken by a bird of prey. 
The kids have called her Paella, I think it is a loosely disguised threat that if she doesn't come up with the goods she will be the goods!!!  Not that they, or Rich, would ever go through with it - I've called their bluff before on this subject telling them I'll peel the veggies while they 'do the necessary' with the chicken - and the lady in question has always lived to see another day, or lay another egg as the case may be.


We don't really have bees but we do now have a bee hive!  It needs a little work and I need a little information on bee keeping before we buy a swarm, but it's a start at least.   The boys are now very busy trying to think of names - approximately 40 000 - for it's future inhabitants....that'll keep them occupied for a while!

The garden is slowly taking shape, but we are paying for our lack of autumn maintenance with sore and blistered hand this spring - it's a jungle out there!!  no pictures I'm so ashamed!!!
Despite Friday's snow - yes Snow - we have managed this weekend to plant kale, carrots, Brussels sprout, courgette, runner beans and pumpkins and I've gotten myself a 'wonderful' farmers arms tan!!!


Sow - how does your garden grow?

13 comments:

  1. Hello Emma
    I hope Paella gets a new name! Ha Ha. We used name our hens too and for that matter all our animals.
    How great that you have already planted so many great vegetables.
    Wishing you a week of joy

    Helenx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at those hives, so exciting. We are getting a wild flower garden ready this summer, and our bee area, and if all goes as planned will have bees next year. Can't wait!

    Snow...yikes! Happy you managed to get some things in the ground regardless. Enjoy your week. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snow!! My goodness, no thank you. Hope all the veggies survive it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like we are getting similar weather Emma, we have frosts this week :(. I think we are in for a cold summer, we had one seven years ago, they do say weather goes in seven year cycles...... Not much is growing except in the polytunnel well wrapped up! We have many trees in our village that have yet to grow leaves. A tan would be lovely I daren't get my arms out, it's hats, gloves and thermals here still! We would love to keep bees too how exciting to get a hive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I don't think we'll be getting any snow, it has been cool here although I'm hoping our temps settle into a good late-spring groove as we'll be planting the garden over the course of the next week. We are brooding 12 new layers as well as 40 meat birds and hope to pick up a couple turkey chicks early next week! I'm envious of your bee boxes and wish you well on the new hive when it arrives! 40000 names? Your boys are ambitious. :)
    xo Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keeping bees sounds so interesting! I relate to all that gardening stuff. Somehow we still are not caught up. Another work day tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your beehive is adorable :) have you managed to find a swarm and pr beekeeper to help you?
    Our radishes seem to be growing nicely but I am still holding thumbs that the rest of our seedlings survive this bad weather! So far they don't seem to be noticing too much but growth has definitely slowed down some! X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bee hive looks lovely! Good luck with Chicken Lady. :-) Regula

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've toyed with the idea of getting bees. Nothing better than local honey! (And it's so expensive to buy!) Honey is soooo good in tea! I also have 10 hens and 2 ducks...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've toyed with the idea of getting bees. Nothing better than local honey! (And it's so expensive to buy!) Honey is soooo good in tea! I also have 10 hens and 2 ducks...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our garden has been exploding lately. I keep meaning to get a post up.... maybe tomorrow! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a funny name for you chicken. ;-) The hive is so pretty and I look forward to reading about your beekeeping adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely bee hive. I would like to get bees one day too. I'm thinking next spring once we get chicken keeping well under our belts. I'm so glad you found by blog. I look forward to reading through yours!

    ReplyDelete