Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Yarn Along & A Birthday



Sock and mittens on the go at the moment.  The socks were a Christmas knit for a friends daughter but Tino saw them and declared them his, think they would have been to big for her anyhow!  I've got a funny feeling that I'm not going to have enough yarn to finish them...which means a wee trip back to Italy where I bought it.  Would probably to cheaper just to order it on-line but I've got a hankering for panetone and some good Italian coffee!!!

I whipped up these mittens for Tino to wear to school in the mornings from some pure wool that a guy gave me at a medieval festival this summer (I bough two other skeins and he threw this one in for free).
Tino thinks they smell like sheep!
We've gone from a ridiculously hot November here to snow and -10° in the space of a few days.  Tino and I are both down with colds and even the car didn't appreciate the change in weather conditions  - the back window shattered yesterday morning from the cold!

Currently reading about the different techniques of mediation.  I'm experimenting with the easiest one which involves counting repeatedly from 1-4 for 15 minutes and not thinking about anything else....Don't think I've even finished one repeat of 4 without my mind wandering off someplace!!! 



Today Rémi celebrates his 11th birthday, and has invited his two best friends over for tea.  We celebrated with family at the weekend with pumpkin pie and chocolate and orange cake.


So as ever I seem light years behind everyone in the world of technology,  having only just discovered Instagram!!! What fun!!!  Rémi introduced it to me and even told me about a thing called Facebook, and another called Twitter....but I don't think I'm quite ready for all that just yet.  The only Twittering I want for the moment is from my feathered friends!!!

What are you knitting, twitting, pinning, or just plain ol' reading this week?
Linking up with Ginny

 


19 comments:

  1. Those mittens looks so warm and comfy, and the sock, yeah I would have snatched them up too. What a shame you have to go back to Italy for more yarn...tough luck ;)

    The pie and cake look delicious. Happiest of days to Remi, and all the best to him for a great year ahead.

    Hope you are well. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to attempt knitting socks. It's been on my wish list forever now. I just have no time. I just finished my scrap crochet blanket yesterday. I have (sigh), already started a new project when I have Christmas gifts to make, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those mittens look nice and warm. Oh how I wish Italy was a just a wee trip away! I like your sock pattern. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mittens look wonderful and perfect for the terrible drop in temperatures you are having. Stunning yarn for the socks...fingers crossed that you will have enough yarn to finish them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you just found instagram...and facebook and twitter :) I enjoy instagram and use it. I recently said goodbye to facebook. I do not tweet. ha! I love the yarn! the pie and cake look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to your guy! This cake looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Remí looks really grown up. Happy Birthday! Enjoy your trip to Italy (and the cake).

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a lovely reason to return to Italy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your socks are beautiful and that chocolate-orange cake looks divine! I only started using Instagram a few months ago but I love it! It's so nice to sit and scroll through pictures of all my favorite things -- books, knitting, boxer dogs, style, humor... I'll look you up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. First off your son is adorable, don't tell him I said that. I have tried meditation so many times, but frankly can not relax!
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh your post made me laugh - especially the bits about Italy and meditation. So true! I guess I knitting is my mindful place! Those little mittens are very sweet. I knit a similar pattern for my baby and they have been so useful. I fancy a pair for myself now it is getting colder here. Happy birthday to your boy - those looked like mighty fine pies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the baked goodness and the mitts...happy b-day to your son! I pray while I knit (not always, but a lot) which is my way of clearing my mind. :)
    I'm on IG -- DoleValleyGirl.
    xo Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous socks! I'd totally have claimed them too, they're too pretty to give away ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always loved to see hand-knitted socks - why would anybody buy them? I was told on a meditation course once that the easiest way to stop the thoughts bombarding you is it say "come on then, thoughts, let's be having you" - and somehow they magically disappear! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely post! Your mittens look incredibly warm and cozy and the goodies to die for. I hope you visit your blog again soon and share more adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. ooooh socks, i have yet to go there....they are beautiful!! pretty mittens and a yummy looking pie!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful mittens and I agree Instagram is tons of fun and a great way to see other people's knitting quickly :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love those mittens. That sock yarn is beautiful. I hope you can find another skein of it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday Remi ! My mouth watered at the thought of an Italian pastry. Beautiful mittens ! I should try the 1-4 count of meditation. Some days I need it. Enjoy Your Weekend !

    ReplyDelete